Cabbage is really easy to grow even in cooler climates...
Here are 7 essential nutritional benefits of cabbage.
1. Dithioltiones & SulforaphaneDithioltiones induce antioxidant and detoxification mechanism. Dithioltiones also have anticancer properties and increases the body’s production of glutathione. Glutathione is a great antioxidant and your body naturally produces it. Carcinogens from the environment like smoke or pollution can actually deplete your glutathione production. Sulforaphane also helps stimulate the production of glutathione.
2. Beta-caroteneI always thought that that only orange or yellow fruits and vegetables contain beta-carotene. But in actuality cabbage and other greens even if they’re not orange or yellow still contain the amazing beta-carotene. Beta-carotene has anticancer properties and may lower risks linked to heart disease.
3. AnthocyaninsAnthocyanins are responsible for the red color found in red cabbage. They are also very valuable antioxidants that help neutralize free radicals and the oxidation of molecules in the body.
4. Indoles & IsothiocyanatesIndoles and isothiocyanates may help against breast and prostate cancer.
5. Vitamin CCabbage is packed with vitamin C. Vitamin C is important in neutralizing free radicals, regenerating vitamin E supplies, and improves iron absorption (WH Foods). To get the most vitamin C from cabbage you should juice it or eat it raw.
6. DetoxifierCabbage is great in helping the body detoxify and clear the body from toxins due to it’s ability to increase antioxidant defense mechanisms (Murray, 1992).
7. Coumarins & PhenolsCoumarins are amazing for blocking the reaction of cancer causing compounds. Phenols also induce detoxification enzymes and have anticancer properties that help prevents the formation of carcinogens (Murray, 1992).
Raw cabbage cleans the waste from the stomach, improves digestion and reduces constipation. Raw cabbage also stimulates the immune system, kills bacteria and helps stimulate circulation.
Tips:Goitrogens are found in raw cabbage and also broccoli. Goitrogens may actually slow down the thyroid. If you have thyroid issues you should consult with your physician before eating raw cabbage and broccoli.